Was your child born in the 20-tweens? I have two that were, and sometimes I laugh at things that are “normal” to my little guys. Here are some of the things I’ve noticed . . . I’d love to know your thoughts too!
(1) They ask if you can make their favorite character . . . out of cake or fruit!
(2) When reading a “My First Word” book, you show them a picture of an apple. You ask them what it is. They say: “A phone.”
(3) At a doctor’s office the TV is on a cartoon station. A commercial comes on. They look at you with total bewilderment and/or start to cry and ask, “What’s that?”
(4) You think they are playing with their toys and then you hear them describing all the “totally awesome features.” You realize that they are actually making pretend You Tube video-advertisements.
(5) They don’t know how to tie their shoes and they don’t know their address, but they know your iPad password and know how to find Curious George at pbskids.org.
(6) They don’t recognize an event as a festival unless it involves full-on, whole-face art.
(7) They have mastered the art of the selfie – and some of their self-portraits are surprisingly artistic.
(8) They surprise you with gifts like trampolines, computers, and Barbie cars that they purchased with Amazon one-click ordering when you weren’t looking.
(9) They get at least two Halloween costumes each year: one for themselves, and one to match the family “theme.”
(10) They recognize the movie theater as that place where the seats recline and mommies and daddies take naps.
And of course, you love them to pieces, even if they DO think you’re a little old-fashioned for thinking cartoons should be a Saturday morning only kind of thing.
Ok – that’s what I’ve got today. Add your observations in the comments!